Monday 26 February 2018

Running and being prepared with a stoma

There is nothing better than feeling the freedom of the outdoors.  Many people feel this on a motorcycle, some when running, and others simply by hiking in the woods.  Being outside is a passion of mine and something that has given me joy my entire life.  I love the outdoors and the joy that comes from being in nature.  When I found out I would need an ostomy surgery and would end up with a stoma I was worried about the effect it would have on what I look forward to every season.  I look forward to being outdoors.  After lots of reading, and listening to the doctors and nurses I gleaned enough information to know that I would still be able to do all those things.  I was originally super worried about living a normal active lifestyle and I had nothing to worry about.  Being a little more prepared and taking a little more gear with me was all that was going to be needed to enjoy my life.  I was given good advice to try lots of different ostomy supplies and see what works best for my body.  I highly suggest getting online and shopping around and working on finding what works best for your body. 



I wanted a good attachment system so I could be active and I landed on giving a few different major manufacturers a try and I was not disappointed.  After googling, they came up as one of the first companies.  They had a good knowledgeable website and most importantly to me the ability to try products before buying a bunch of them in bulk.  This was huge to me because I am going to be testing in lots of different environments.  I need a bag and belt that will work in the winter.  Where I am going to be bundled up and needing moisture wicked very efficiently.  I need a spring bag that will need to deal with lots of water on the outside due to the weather.  For summer I need gear that will be very efficient at being breathable.  I want to be comfortable in lighter clothing.  So these are the reasons that I like the free samples from the big companies.  I literally tried lots of different items until I found what worked best for me! The last thing I wanted was an item that gave a bad seal and leaked when I am outside and maybe far away from items or a sink. 


So are there any limitations to being outside? Honestly, not really. I find myself being active and biking, hiking, fishing, and hunting.  I am able to do all the things I normally did.  I must say I was most worried about hunting. Animals generally have an amazing sense of smell vs humans and this I knew was going to be hard. But there are lots of good scent-blocking items out there that I am able to utilize to enjoy and be successful at hunting still. There is nothing better than being able to provide for your own family and still be able to do it with a medical condition.  Each year my family eats lean venison for the whole year and I get hundreds of pounds for a minimal cost. It only takes wisdom, will power, and skill. 




No comments:

Post a Comment